Sometimes I walk into a space and something feels a little "off". There's great furniture, nice art, and fabulous color but it still feels empty. Most times the solution is as easy as a few plants. Not only can plants add an aesthetic appeal but they can also make a difference on the health of you and your family. I've put together my top 5 reasons why I think you need to bring more indoor plants into your home... enjoy!
1. Increased oxygen levels. If you are anything like me, the word photosynthesis takes you back to 7th grade when you thought you would never have to know anything about that weird-ass word. Well, guess what? You do! Just to refresh your memory... photosynthesis happens when we inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. Plants then absorb the carbon dioxide and release oxygen, creating a nice cycle. This produces more oxygen in the home... who wouldn't want more oxygen??
2. Plants remove toxins from the air. That's right! They actually absorb toxins like cigarette smoke and VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds... formaldehyde anyone??) giving us cleaner air to breathe. Our homes are full of toxins that are found in carpet, paints, furnishings, finishes, cleaning products, etc... these can wreak havoc on our bodies.
3. Lower your risk for the common cold. Plants actually release water into the air creating humidity and decreasing dust. According to the Agricultural University of Norway, this helps with sore throat, dry skin, cough and the common cold.
4. Taking care of a living thing is good for you. Taking responsibility for something other than yourself is healthy. The one thing I always hear people say is: "I kill everything". If you are one of these people, I have a solution for you.... buy plants that don't need as much maintenance and learn how to take care of them. Sometimes these only require watering once every few weeks. Once you get the hang of it, you can start to incorporate some needier plants. It will become a daily ritual for you to water them and you might even grow to to love it! Think of it like you are feeding your cat or dog. It may not snuggle with you but it is nice to look at and it just so happens to help you breathe easier :)
5. They make you happy! Studies have shown that plants actually boost morale and when you think about it.. if you are breathing cleaner air, not suffering from a cold, being selfless AND your home looks better, why wouldn't you be happier?
I was feeling inspired by plants and went pinning! Enjoy these gorgeous photos and go buy some plants! Need help deciding what suits your home best? Don't fret... contact me and I can help you create your healthier home by choosing the perfect plants that suit you best.